Background and motivation. Prof. Merkoçi and his senior collaborators are also committed in academic activities. Most of these activities are related to PhD courses in the field of nanobiosensors at both national and international levels. These activities are considered with great interest to transmit the latest achievements of our research to the new generation of researchers and to be in contact with future excellent candidates that might be interested to join the group.
PhD courses at Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB). Each academic year Prof. Merkoçi is teaching about nanomaterials based biosensors at courses given at “Nanotechnology and Materials Science” official master at UAB. (http://www.uab.es/servlet/Satellite/studying/official-master-s-degrees/training-objectives-and-skills/nanotechnology-and-materials-science-1204099122867.html?param1=1307340015800) as well as at materials related masters offered by Chemistry Department.
PhD courses at international levels. Since more than 14 years Prof. Merkoçi has been invited to participate as professor in theoretical and practical courses/workshops on nanobiosensors with interest for PhD students and other professionals. Some of the selected courses are given below.
- Electrochemical sensors & biosensors (PhD program in biotechnology), S.Alegret, A.Merkoçi, Universidad Técnica Federico Santa Maria, Universidad Católica de Valparaiso, Chile, November 1999
- Design, construction and evaluation of electrochemical Sensors & Biosensors. Theoretical & Practical course, S.Alegret, A.Merkoçi, Centro de Investigación y de estudios avanzados del I.P.N. , Mexico, D.F., México, 19-23 Jun 2000
- Seminar/Workshop on Electrochemical Sensors for environmental, Biomedical and Industrial Measurements, S.Alegret, F.Sevilla, A.Merkoçi, J.Bergantin, University of Santo Tomas, Manila, Philipines, 16-20 January 2001
- Seminar/Workshop on Electrochemical Sensors for environmental, Biomedical and Industrial Measurements, S.Alegret, F.Sevilla, A.Merkoçi, J.Bergantin, Aquinas University, Legazpi City, Philipines, 22-26 January 2001
- Seminar/Workshop on Electrochemical Sensors for environmental, Biomedical and Industrial Measurements, S.Alegret, F.Sevilla, A.Merkoçi, J.Bergantin, University of San Agustin, Iloilo City, Philipines, 29 January-2 February 2001
- Seminar/Workshop on Electrochemical Sensors for environmental, Biomedical and Industrial Measurements, S.Alegret, F.Sevilla, A.Merkoçi, J.Bergantin, Holy Trinity College, Puerto Princesa City, Philipines, 5-9 February 2001
- Coordinator of the course “Nanoscience and Nanotechnology” (Curso de formación, Escola de postgrau, UAB)
- Lecture: Aplicación de nanomateriales para el diseño de nuevos sensores y biosensores electroquímicos
- Jornada: La Energía nuclear a debate, Nanomateriales semiconductores y magnéticos: Propiedades y aplicaciones. 16-18 de Mayo, 2005, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain.
- Coodinator of the workshop “Nanoparticles for DNA and Immunosensing” organized in Barcelona from January 24-25, 2007 in the framework of Forum 2007 and Converging Technologies Initiative from the University Autonoma of Barcelona (UAB), Spain .
- Seminar on Electronic tongues & Nanomaterial-based sensors, A.Merkoçi, M. del Valle, 9 June 2007 / 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Thomas Aquinas Research Complex, University of Santo Tomas, Manila, Philipinnes.
Prof.Merkoçi teaching at Seminar on Electronic tongues & Nanomaterial-based sensors, 9 June 2007 / 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Thomas Aquinas Research Complex, University of Santo Tomas, Manila, Philipinnes.
- Coordinator of the Workshop “NANOBIOSENSORES PARA APLICACIONES BIOMÉDICAS / NANOBIOSENSORS FOR BIOMEDICAL APPLICATIONS”, Organized by Nanoaracat on 19 y 20 de diciembre de 2007, Hotel Campus Serhs UAB CAMPUS Bellaterra. (Barcelona).
- 213th ECS Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, USA, May 18-22, 2008, Short Course #3 Electrochemical Biosensors Based on Nanomaterials, Arben Merkoci, Instructor.
The aim of this course is to show some aspects of the implementation of nanoscience and nanotechnology, in bioanalysis in general, and in biosensors in particular. It will explain several strategies related to the integration of nanomaterials into biosensor systems. This represents one of the hottest topics today in nanotechnology and nanoscience, due to the capacity of nanomaterials to provide special optical or electrical properties, improve stability, and minimize surface fouling of the sensing systems. After participating in this course, researchers interested in biosensors will learn about the advantages of nanomaterials compared to other conventional materials but also will get inside the response mechanisms related to such improvements.
Prof. Merkoçi with the participants of his Short Course #3 Electrochemical Biosensors Based on Nanomaterials,
- «Nanoscience, Nanotechnology and Biosensors Development”, Seminar at University of Advancing Technology, (AUT) , Arizona, USA, May 21st , 2008.
- “Nanomaterials for Biosensors”, Short Course / Summer School on NANOBIOSENSORS, Jointly organised by Glasgow University, the Institute of Nanotechnology and Cranfield University, 25 May 2010, Medical School, Glasgow University, Glasgow, UK
- Nanotechnology, nanomaterials and applications in various industries with focusing to biosensors, Postgraduate Theoretical Course (6 hours) as a preliminary activity of “CONGRESO INTERNACIONAL DE DOCENCIA E INVESTIGACIÓN EN QUÍMICA”. Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana Unidad Azcapotzalco, Ciudad de México, Mexico, Oct. 25th, 2010.
- Lectures “Bioanalytical nanosystems. Building nanoblocks (I). Metal nanoparticles (MNP). Quantum dots. Carbon nanotubes. Applications in electrochemical and optical methods. At ”BIOANALYTICAL NANOTECHNOLOGY SCHOOL, 31 January – 4 February 2011, University of Santo Tomas, Manila, Philipines.
- A.Merkoçi, 3h Lectures: Building nanoblocks (I). Metal nanoparticles (MNP). Quantum dots. Carbon nanotubes. Applications in electrochemical and optical methods, BIOANALYTICAL NANOTECHNOLOGY SCHOOL, Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana, Azcapotzalco, Mexico DF, Mexico, October 1-6, 2011.
- Course in the 34th Summer School of Chemistry in Brazil. Title of the course: «Biosensing using nanomaterials» (12h). Summer course organized by «Universidade Federal de Sao Carlos – Departamento de Química», Rodovia Washington Luís, km 235, CEP 13565-905-Sao Carlos -SP. February 17 – 21 , 2014.
With Prof. Ronaldo Faria and participants in the 34th Summer School of Chemistry at University of Sao Carlos, Brazil from 17th to 21st of February 2014.
Prof. Merkoçi teaching ‘Biosensors based on Nanomaterials” in the 34th Summer School of Chemistry at University of Sao Carlos, Brazil from 17th to 21st of February 2014.
- Arben Merkoçi, “Nanomaterials based biosensors” Invited Lecture at 5th Edition of the Cell Model Systems Summer School to be held in 10-15 of June, 2012 at the National Research Council of Italy’s Research Establishment in Tor Vergata-Rome (http://www.cms3.cnr.it/), June 14th, 2012.
- Arben Merkoçi, “Nanomaterials based biosensors“, Invited Lecture at Summer School of Univ. Rovira Virgili, Tarragona, Spain, July 8th, 2013
- Arben Merkoçi, Lecture 5, Bioanalytical nanosystems. Building nanoblocks (I): Metal nanoparticles; (MNP). Quantum dots. Carbon nanotubes and graphene. Applications in electrochemical and optical methods. Lecture 6. Building nanoblocks (II). Nanochannels, lab-on-a-chip, paper based platforms and nanomotors use in biosensing. 3rd Bioanalytical Nanotechnology School, 29 January to 1 February 2014 (http://www.bantschool.org/3rd-bioanalytical-nanotechnology-school/ ). Bioanalytical nanosystems. Organized by University of Santo Tomas, Research Center for the Natural and Applied Sciences, University of Santo Tomas,España Blvd., Manila, Philipinnes.
- Arben Merkoçi, “NANOBIOSENSORS-BASED DIAGNOSTICS”, Invited talk at School of Bioanalytical Chemistry, University – Unicamp, Campinas, Brazil, April 26th, 2016
- Arben Merkoçi, “Nanobiosensors-based diagnostics”, Invited talk at University of Alcalá de Henares in the framework of PhD School of Chemistry, Juny 24th, 2016